Fly tying is such a fun hobby, and it’s easy to spend countless hours of your spare time tying. You do enough of it, you’ll probably even become pretty good at it. With all that time spent, you’re going to need a good chair if you want to avoid back or neck pain down the road.
The table below shows the top five picks among the amazing chairs for fly tying that have been reviewed in this article.
|Best Chairs for Fly Tying||Features|
|Armen Living Jaguar Chair||Best sturdy chair for fly tying|
|MEEDEN Wooded Stool||Best wooden stool for fly tying|
|Boss Office Mesh Guest Chair||Best mesh chair for fly tying|
|Bowthy Armless Chair||Best armless ergonomic chair for fly tying|
|Flash Furniture Chair||Best budget chair for fly tying|
If you have been tying flies for a very long time and you are yet to find the “perfect” chair, then this is your one-stop place to get the ideal chair for fly tying that will suit your taste and budget.
When tying a fly, expert advice is that the use of a lower table is ideal so that the arms are in a more natural position. However, you will need an ideal chair for this purpose.
I have examined a lot of chairs and stools that claim to be ideal for fly tying and other desk table activities and I have noticed that most of them will still make your back bother you in a relatively short amount of time.
In other words, finding and choosing a very durable, comfortable, and stable chair for fly tying is not that easy. But not to worry. This post will walk you through the best options available on chairs for fly tying.
The best part is that most of the chairs reviewed in this post are versatile and can be useful in other sitting applications at home.
If you already know the basics, tying an angling tool that can empower you to catch more fish will be very simple. But while you are at it on your fly tying bench, while you pit in your imagination and creativity, you should be in a good posture and sitting with great comfort.
It is somewhat an exciting thing as an angler to construct flies to replicate the exact bugs found in streams. This activity, when done, requires you to sit down on a chair and work on the fly on the desk.
While some people use a standard adjustable office chair, a huge consideration will be if the chair has an adjustable height, well-padded seat, durable frame materials, backrest or armrest (optional in some cases), and of course, wheels or non-wheels.
Whatever your taste is, I have reviewed the best chairs for fly tying in their varying types, while outlining their respective features, specifications, pros, cons, and prices.
Full review of my top 7 chairs for fly tying
1. Flash Furniture Chair with Black Pedestal Frame
- Ideal for a desk, fly tying bench, and classroom Chair
- Equipped with sturdy Frame
- Black Plastic Seat and Back
- Slatted Back allows Air Circulation
- Black Pedestal Frame
- Adjustable Height Legs
- Anti-Slip Floor Caps prevent the chair from slipping and reduces any noise
- Slatted Seat and Back
- Floor Glides
- This is an excellent chair for fly tying. The only single thing to frown at is that the chair height can not be adjusted easily as you have to screw/unscrew 4 screws until you find the ideal height.
- Black Color
- Made of Steel Material
- Item Dimensions: 25 x 16.25 x 30 inches
- Features Acacia Furniture Finish
- Maximum Weight Recommendation is 396 Pounds
- Item Weight: 14 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 15.25 x 16.25 x 30 inches
- Assembled Height: 32.5 inches
- Assembled Width: 16.25 inches
- Assembled Length: 15.25 inches
- Assembled Seat Height: 18.5 Inches
Flash Furniture Chair with Black Pedestal Frame features a slatted seat and back that allows air circulation. It has also been designed with height adjustable legs.
While this chair is popularly used in classrooms, it is also ideal for desk activities like fly tying.
Thanks to the adjustable height legs that will fit both adults and your ones of any size. Flash Furniture Chair with Black Pedestal Frame is also equipped with anti-slip floor glides that prevent it from slipping and also reduces noise.
2. Armen Living Jaguar Chair
- Possibly blend into any design
- Features plush upholstered seat and back That are accented by a sturdy walnut shell
- Solid walnut wood finish
- Very Versatile, that is, works great for fly tying, kitchen, dining, home office spaces, commercial settings or anywhere needed to sit at home
- Equipped with a sturdy construction
- Medium-high cushioned open back
- Can be assembled in minutes and hassle-free
- Comes with detailed instructions
- Features Thick semi-firm cushion
- Designed with Walnut wood exterior with an open back slot
- Durability and longevity guaranteed
- Perfect size for small spaces such as dorm rooms or apartments
- Thick semi-firm cushion
- Sturdy construction
- Medium-high cushioned open back
- It says detained instruction included, but a considerable number of buyer accounted for the difficulty in assembling as there were no instruction included in their package
- Charcoal/Walnut Finish Color
- Made with Wooden Material
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH20 x 18 x 29 inches
- Features Walnut Furniture Finish
- Item Weight: 10.55 Pounds
- Item Weight: 10.55 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 20 x 18 x 29 inches
- Assembled Height: 6 inches
- Assembled Width: 18 inches
- Assembled Length: 25 inches
- Weight 13 Pounds
The Armen Living Jaguar mid-century side chair should be your best choice especially when you love artistic beauty.
It is a contemporary chair that has a stylish curved back and attractive fabric upholstery. It is also renowned for its durable wood frame, covered in plush fabric upholstery.
If you are looking for a simple but unique chair design for your fly tying, then this
Armen Living Jaguar Chair in Charcoal Fabric and Walnut Wood Finish is a good pick. I also like the fact that It has the perfect size for small spaces such as dorm rooms or apartments.
Supported by solid walnut wood for sturdiness and style, this is a practical chair that is versatile and proves useful even down to home office desk chairs.
It features sleek legs that are built to create balance for your fly tying activity, this is coupled with the back seat which includes exposed zig-zag lines.
3. HON Scatter Black Chair
- Features polyester fabric that is abrasion resistant
- The chair base is Black
- Features a 250 lb Weight capacity
- Backed by the HON Limited 5-Year.
- Back Width: 19 inch
- Smooth, pliable SofThread leather seating surfaces
- The contoured seat and back provide ergonomic support and comfort
- Offers great versatility and value for any environment
- 250 lb Weight capacity
- The little wrench that is included in the hardware package is not ideal enough, it would have been better if the real socket wrench was included to make it much easier
- Black Color
- Made of Metal; Fabric Material
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH21 x 21.25 x 32.75 inches
- Maximum Weight Recommendation is 250 Pounds
- Item Weight: 12.5 Pounds
- Assembled Height: 32.75 inches
- Assembled Width: 21.5 inches
- Weight: 20 Pounds
This chair’s combination of versatility and value is second to none, and that is why it is among the best options.
Featuring polyester seating surfaces and a contoured, padded seat, this impressive chair is equipped with a back to provide ergonomic support and comfort.
It is lovable for its clean look, padded seat, and back design that will easily accommodate any given area.
Constructed of a tubular steel frame that stands up to frequent handling, this multi-purpose chair features a 250 lb Weight capacity that is ideal for fly tying
4. Boss Office Mesh Guest Chair
- Features a patented contemporary style design
- coated with black powder with tubular steel frames
- Molded arm caps
- Assembling required
- Stackable for space-saving storage
- Designer tapered legs
- Seat upholstered with mesh fabric
- Black chair for fly tying, reception rooms, as well as visitor seating areas
- Fluted steel tube frame
- mesh back and padded fabric seat
- stackable up to 4 units high
- The measurement is at 27 inches width by 24 inches depth by 23 inches height
- Waterfall seat to reduce stress on legs
- Tapered legs can safely hold up to 250 pounds
- Easy to assemble
- Stackable up to 4 units high
- Powder-coated steel tubular frame
- Mesh back and fabric padded seat
- 250-pound Weight Capacity
- Tapered Legs
- Easy to Move and Store
- Comfortable design
- Black Color
- Made with Mesh Material
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH24 x 24 x 33 inches
- Maximum Weight Recommendation is 275 Pounds
- Item Weight: 12 Pounds
- Assembled Height: 33 inches
- Assembled Width:24 inches
- Assembled Length: 24 inches
- Assembled Seat Height is 19.5 Inches
- Weight 18 Pounds
- Seat height: 18″
- Seat depth: 18″
- Seat width: 18″
- Arm height: 19.5″
Boss Office Products Stackable Mesh Guest Chair resonates with the perfect definition of sleek, and contemporary design. It is a very versatile chair that adds the best seating option for your day-to-day activities which certainly includes fly tying.
The chair is designed with tapered legs that allow you to easily stack them to help provide more storage space especially when they are not in use.
In addition to these, Boss Office Products Stackable Mesh Guest Chair features a very comfortable design in the sense that the molded cap arms and the waterfall seat help in reducing leg stress for long-term comfort while you work on your angle fly.
Proudly manufactured by the Boss Office Products bran, this Boss Office Products Stackable Mesh Guest Chair will not give you a problem when lifting it as it is just 17 pounds.
Also, I like the modern design and sleek black color because it will most likely match any home or office decor.
5. Bowthy Armless Chair
- It is an ergonomic chair for both home and office
- Incorporates an armless design to save your indoor space.
- A dapper office armless chair that is enveloped in high-quality sponge filling
- Equipped upholstery with fabric cloth
- The shaped seat has this arched backrest for lower spine support
- Features Pu wheels that prevent marks while moving the chair around.
- Swivel 360°and move freely.
- Seat height can be adjusted (17.3” to 21.3”).
- Comes with product manual in the box
- Comes with assembly tools
- Assembly is usually completed in about 15 minutes.
- Personality design
- Height Adjustable
- Skin-friendly fabric
- 360-degree swivel
- Seat-height adjustment
- Smooth wheels for great mobility
- Ergonomic and Armless Design
- Stable enough to last for years
- Max Weight 250 lBS
- 90-120 Degree Rocking
- Easy Assembly and Tools Included
- If you are looking for a very heavy chair for fly tying, this one might not be too sturdy.
- Grey Color
- Features Textile Material
- Maximum Weight Recommendation is 250 Pounds
- Item Weight: 23.8 Pounds
- From BOWTHY Brand
- Seat size: 18.1×16.9×1.5 inch
- Back size ：7×18.9×1.5 inch
- Adjustable Seat Height：94 inch
- Weight Capacity：250 lbs
- Carton size ：4×9.8×23.6 inch
- Shipping Weight：8 lbs
- Packages include one Armless chair and one Set of Screws and tools with one product manual
Bowthy Armless Chair is an ergonomic chair for both home and office that features an armless design to save your indoor space.
I will call this a dapper armless chair that is made of high-quality sponge filling. Another notable feature is the upholstery with fabric cloth and shaped seat that features an arched backrest for spine support.
This chair Swivel 360°and allows you to move freely. The product comes with assembly tools that make assembly very easy.
6. MEEDEN Wooded Stool with Adjustable Height
- It is significantly easy to assemble and the instructions and assembly tool are all included in the package. They are clear to understand and will put your through to do it yourself
- No need for expert assembly
- The chair is made of durable wooden material
- You can adjust this stool from a height of 18.9 inches to 25.6 inches
- A solid make of German Solid Beech Wood,
- Easy to put together
- A perfect companion for a drafting table and standing desk
- Fits in small spaces
- Built to last
- 360 day100% money-back guarantee
- While the advantage of this chair outweighs the deficits, it would have been perfect if the chair has four legs because, with three legs, it’s possible the stool could tip.
- The dimensions of this wooden chair is 16.5ʺW×11.8ʺD×18.9ʺ-25.6ʺH.
- Can be used in various places
- Made of German Beech.
- Very light in color
- Features 360-DAY100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.
- Beech Material
- Maximum Weight Recommendation is 220 Pounds
- From MEEDEN Brand
- the Frame is designed with Beech Material
MEEDEN Wooded Stool with Adjustable Height is incredibly easy to put together. This chair is a perfect companion for any standing desk or your fly-tying bench.
It will surely fit in small spaces, and the durable frame materials guarantee that it is built to last. This product has a 360 day 100% money-back guarantee.
It is a good pick for chairs for fly tying.
7. OFM ESS Collection Mesh Back Chair (Armless)
- The cooling mesh of this chair provides comfort in the form of a breathable fabric that conforms to the upper body.
- 360-degree swivel
- Height adjustable to adapts to body height
- Engineered for maximum comfort and durability for fly tying
- 250-pound weight capacity
- Cooling mesh back
- Allows freedom to move in any direction as it 360 swivels
- The Height is can be adjusted so it can fit different bodies
- Offers maximum comfort and durability
- Black Color
- Textile Material
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH23 x 23 x 11 inches
- From OFM Brand
- Product Dimensions: 23 x 23 x 11 inches
- Item Weight 21.6 pounds
- Ideal for Unisex-adult
- Has a 5 out of 5 stars rating
OFM ESS Collection Mesh Back Chair (Armless) takes pride in the quality and workmanship of the performance offered. This is a very wonderful desk and fly tying seating solution for those who prefer to sit or stand.
OFM has been able to make available excellent chairs like these to handle users from 225 lb to 500 lb, and this one, with its ergonomic solutions, assures great comfort.
This is evident in the lumbar support, 4-D armrest adjustments, and multiple other ways to customize your fly tying chair to your needs.
The impressive chair is also equipped with a breathable mesh back and durable sandwich mesh on the seat. The chair also a 360-degree swivel for added comfort freedom to move from one desk to another.
This chair meets expectations, no downside was detected.
Highly recommended for fly tying and other desk chair solutions.
How to choose the best chair for fly tying
Interestingly, Fly tying chairs can also be a part of the décor of any home. In connection, it is okay to want to look good while tying fly without worrying about the health influences the chair will have on you.
This leads us to the first factor to be considered when choosing a chair for fly tying.
The Chair Design
Just as I have always maintained in all my articles about choosing the right chair for specific activities, the ergonomics of the chair should be considered above everything else.
You will see that the chairs recommended in this post are of a particular design and not like that of gaming chairs or office chairs.
After considering the design, the next important factor to look out for in a chair ideal for fly tying is whether it is adjustable or not. Almost all ideal chairs for fly tying, as you have seen in this post, have height and arm adjustment.
While some adjustable areas of a chair are not necessary for chairs for fly tying, you should take note of the important areas that adjustment should be present.
For example, chairs with back seats should have an adjustment of the seat back width and height, seat and back angle, and tension control.
Wheels are not an absolutely necessary factor to consider when choosing a chair for fly tying. But when we think about the strain that comes with the need to reach across a desk to get items for fly tying, then rolling becomes important.
I have included and reviewed options for this function, so it depends on your taste or the surface of your workspace floor.
An ideal chair for fly tying should swivel freely to allow for easy access to various parts of the fly tying bench.
The reason why ideal chairs like these are recommended is that, unlike regular desk chairs, they can swivel freely and prevent arm fatigue that could have resulted from overextending to reach various items.
The material of the seat surface
You don’t want the chair to become hot and uncomfortable after hours of sitting in it, so under this consideration, you want to go for a material that is breathable.
An ideal chair for fly tying will also have enough cushion to provide maximum support so that you can spend enough time working in your angle fly without feeling the base of the chair through the cushion.
Conclusion on the best chairs for fly tying
We have come to the end of the best chair for fly tying. The chairs reviewed in this article are topnotch and highly recommended for fly tying. The best part is that most of them are truly versatile, which means you can use them for other things.
The art of fly tying is an interesting one, however, one can find it boring especially when you are not usually in the right posture for hours while working on your artificial fly.. the pain, aches, and all.
Thankfully, you have been exposed to the best options available on chairs for fly tying. If you know of any amazing chair that will make this list that I did not include, kindly share your idea in the comment section.